Day 1 – 21st September
It’s the official kick-off of Falling for Autumn 2.0 Read-a-Thon!!
First of all, you still have time to sign-up for this read-a-thon is still haven’t done so. All you have to do is sign-up on the linky (if you’ve signed-up already, skip this part!). I have decided to leave the sign-ups open till Wednesday so everyone can still join 😉
Now, you can all share on the linky your goals for this read-a-thon.
If you happened to have posted your goals with your sign-up post, just post the link again on the linky.
Q&A with Taran Matharu:
I am really excited to have Taran Matharu (author of The Novice) in the blog today. He’ll be answering the questions YOU guys asked plus, there’s a giveaway at the end so don’t forget to check that out.
- How did you come up with a character that has a contrast? I mean a person who has a dark past but of good nature. (by AL Morales)
I think people with a dark past make for very interesting characters! Ultimately, we are shaped by the events of our lives, but we have a choice in how we allow them to affect us. Some people become better because of their difficult past and gain a strength of character and morality, while others let themselves be corrupted and weakened. Ultimately, it is those who better themselves that the reader will really root for.
- What should we expect in the upcoming book that you are writing? (by AL Morales)
More action! Fletcher and his friends will find themselves behind enemy lines, battling deep in the orc jungles in a race against time to save the Hominum Empire.
- Will you be writing more of the origins stories? (I’d really like to see the twins) (by Chelsea)
Maybe! I have to finish writing Book 3 first. I would most likely extend Origins, but I have thought about writing about the other characters too.
- How many books are u planning to have in this series? (by Mason)
I am definitely writing a trilogy, but I have ideas on how to extend the series if the publishers want me to.
- Where did you get your book cover done? (It’s really amazing!) (by Chelsea) – yes, it is gorgeous!
I have been working with an artist, Malgorzata Gruszka for a long time. She would design concept art and illustrations for me based on my writing. When I joined Wattpad, I needed a cover for the book and Malgorzata and I created it together. The publishers liked it so much they used her design!
- What are your tips in writing a successful story such as the summoner? (by AL Morales)
That’s a very difficult question to answer! I think that aspiring writers should reread their favourite books, but when they do so, analyse the writing and ask themselves how the author did such a good job. How do they transition from sentence to sentence, paragraph to paragraph, scene to scene and chapter to chapter? How do they build their world so that the reader understands it without info dumping? How are the characters so memorable and multidimensional? That is one of the best ways of learning how to write.
- If the summoner origin and novice becomes a movie, where do you think is the place that could represent the academy and why? (by AL Morales)
That is tricky! I have always loved The Tower of London (I live nearby). The castle does remind me a little of Vocans, perhaps more on the inside than on the outside. Here are a few castles that look a little like Vocans in my mind: https://uk.pinterest.com/taranmatharu/citadel/
- Which authors inspire you the most when it comes to writing? (by me, Ner)
The authors (and their series) that inspire me the most are, Discworld by Terry Pratchett, Harry Potter by J K Rowling, The Saga of Darren Shan by Darren Shan, The Redwall Series by Brian Jacques and the Edge Chronicles by Chris Riddell and Paul Stewart.
- If you were to select the actor to play the character of Fletcher (if it becomes a movie, which I am hoping), who would it be and what characteristics can you say that matches between the actor and Fletcher? (by AL Morales)
I’ll do you one better! Here are a few more:
- Evan Peters as Flecther;
- Saoirse Ronan as Sylva;
- Tyler Posey as Seraph;
- Mark Strong as Rook;
- Aidan Turner as Arcturus;
- Jack O’Connell as Othello;
Evan Peters might be a touch old to play Fletcher but he has a slightly haunted look in his eye, a gauntness around the face, similar hair to Fletcher (if dyed black) and the same paleness too. Evan is also a great actor (one of my favourites in fact).
- What advice would you give to someone who wants to publish their story on Wattpad? Or simply publish their story? (by me, Ner)
This is a great question! I put together an advice book, which you can read for free here: https://www.wattpad.com/story/10719370-how-to-get-to-1-on-wattpad-hints-and-tips
Thanks Leonor 🙂
Thank you so much for being part of this readathon. Having an author who started as a Wattpad writer to become an international bestseller author is pretty exciting. I think I can speak for all when I say that is quite a dream come true. Specially knowing how difficult it can be to get a book published.
I also want to thank everyone who sent their questions to Taran through my form. You had amazing questions and it ended up being hard to pick up only ten questions (and also adding a few of my own).
Still, I hope you guys liked it and if you want, you can also read Taran’s story “Summoner: Origins” on Wattpad here.
Taran Matharu was kind enough to provide a giveaway to accompany this guest-post. He’s giving-away a signed post-card to one lucky winner. The giveaway is International and it’ll end on October 4th.
*PARTICIPANTS OF THIS READ-A-THON ONLY*
See you all tomorrow with more challenges and fun 😉